National
Iran, US agree on 'guiding principles' in Geneva talks

Iran, US agree on 'guiding principles' in Geneva talks

Feb 18, 2026

Tehran [Iran], February 18: The United States and Iran resumed their negotiations in Geneva on Tuesday, with Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi saying general agreement on "a set of guiding principles" had been reached.
"The path to an agreement has begun, we are ready," he said, following talks lasting more than three hours in the permanent mission of Oman in the Swiss city.
"But that does not mean that we have reached an agreement," he told Iranian state-run television.
Araghchi did not disclose further details about the "guiding principles," but he described the atmosphere as constructive. He warned, however, that the process of drafting an agreement will take time and said no date has been set for a new round of negotiations yet.
There was no immediate comment from the US.
Ahead of the talks, which were mediated by Oman, US President Donald Trump told journalists he would have a role. "I'll be involved in those talks indirectly, and they'll be very important. We'll see what can happen," Trump said.
The US was represented in Geneva by Special Envoy Steve Witkoff and Trump's son-in-law, Jared Kushner.
The latest discussions focused primarily on Iran's nuclear programme.
Washington has sought for years to prevent Tehran from acquiring nuclear weapons.
Tehran, which vehemently denies it is seeking to develop nuclear weapons, has signalled it is willing to limit its civilian nuclear programme in return for the US lifting harsh economic sanctions.
However, Iran has said it will not negotiate over other issues such as reducing its missile arsenal or ending support for militant groups.
The talks come amid weeks of escalating tensions between Washington and Tehran after Iranian security forces brutally cracked down on a wave of protests in January, with thousands reported killed. In response, Trump threatened the Iranian leadership with a military intervention and sent military assets, including two aircraft carriers, to the region.
Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei appeared undaunted by Trump's threats on Tuesday. "More dangerous than an aircraft carrier is the weapon that can send it to the seabed," said the cleric, who has the final say in all strategic matters in the Islamic Republic.
A first round of talks between Iranian and US representatives to defuse the brewing conflict took place in Oman earlier this month.
Negotiations between Tehran and Washington last year were broken off after Israel launched large-scale attacks on Iran in June shortly before the start of a new round of talks. The US later joined the war in support of Israel, targeting Iran's nuclear facilities.
Source: Qatar Tribune